Monday, October 4, 2010

My Dreams

I admit that I have often mocked runners. I agreed with a quote that I read - “The first time I see a jogger smiling, I’ll consider it.” – Joan Rivers
Running just doesn't look like much fun. However, it does seem pretty convenient & there is something that seems pretty cool & hardcore about it. I have always been a bit jealous.
When I was a child I loved to run - not in a fitness kind of way, I just loved to run. In school, I liked to run too. I was really good at sprints - it was fast, fun & I won. However, when we had to run around the school block 12 times, it didn't seem as fun - distances were harder for me.
As I moved from elementary school to junior high - I quit partcipating in track. I kind of regret that now. But it is what it is. My body changed & I began to feel like I wasn't meant to run. I love participating in sports, but running was pretty much off the agenda.
I tried running again after I finished high school, but it was a short-lived endevour - we're talking only a time or two.
Since then, I've done lots of different types of exercise - I actually really love to exercise, especially once I get started. I love doing elliptical machines because of the low impact. So that was that.
I'm not unfit, but with two babies under my belt, as it were, I'm sure not where I want to be.
And then there are the dreams. Not all the time, but sometimes, I have these dreams where I am just running. Lots of other stuff going on, but I'm running & I feel good & I feel confident & I feel like I could just keep running. I love how those dreams feel. I want to feel that in real life.
So with that all said, I'm starting a nine-week Couch to 5K program. It's taken some schedule juggling so that I do it at a time that will consistently work for me, when the kids will be looked after & in a way that Colin & I both get all our usual stuff done. I know that it will be hard, especially at the beginning, so I am commiting to the whole 9 weeks. I want to see if, in fact, I am a runner. I need to get to a place where I can run a distance consistently & then see if I am enjoying it.
If, at the end of 9 weeks, I don't enjoy it, then it will have been a grand experiment & I will be grateful to have done it & I will move on. But who knows, maybe I am a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment